Saturday 12 December 2009

Days like today are perfect for brisk walks. Brisk walks being the only exercise I am allowed at the moment. My eagerness to go to the gym and build up my stamina ahead of my impending therapy was stifled by warnings from my Consultant that right now I’d be putting to much strain on a system barely coping with getting the right amount of oxygen around and if I were to trip and fall I’d risk rupturing my spleen and worsening my plight.

We’ve had a lot of rain of late so days like today are to be enjoyed. Cold crisp air, utterly fresh, blowing off the river. Walking arm in arm with my wife as we stroll along a line of trees casting their long winter shadows on the ground. The weak sun glinting through leafless branches as it arches low in the sky.

With each deep breath I feel the cold air fill my lungs and imagine it going further, coursing deep into my body. Whistling through my bones, whipping up small tornados in isolated capillaries. Blowing all the hairy cells along in its path like autumn leaves being pushed along the ground and as I exhale all the hairy cells are conjured into a spinning cyclone in my core turning to dust as they pass my lips into the glare of the sun.

This is a particularly beautiful route to walk at any time of the year but particularly now, when it’s dry, I make a point of getting out. Not that I’ve needed any excuse to get out over the last few days. On Thursday, the weather similar to today, my Mum and I walked up to the hospital for my three weekly check up.

My blood counts are steady, still no increase in the white ones and my recent transfusion has given my red cells a much a needed boost. All being well that will be the last transfusion I need for a long time. Not that I mind them, I have a lot of other reading I could do with catching up on, but I just long to be normal.

On Friday I had a proper day off from work but the lay in I had hoped for was not to be. Once again I was of up to the hospital but this time with my wife and the bump. It was time for her to be the centre of attention and it’s a baton I am happy to hand over. All is well, the baby is growing as she should and once again we got to listen to her heartbeat. That’s actually what we call her, “Heartbeat” as on the very first scan, after only two weeks, that was all there was to see. Faintly beating in a gulf of space.

Feeling I’d seen the best part of the maternity visit I left my wife to watch the doctor repeatedly fail to log into his computer - it didn’t have to take two of us - whilst I walked to the other side of town for another medical pit stop: my second Swine Flu jab. Delivered with such efficiency I didn’t even get to sit down and was actually leaving the surgery ten minutes before the start of my appointment.

It’s now just less than a month before I am likely to start my treatment. I have my next hospital appointment on New Years Eve and, barring any upturn in the swine flu figures, the order will be placed for my Cladrabine. The drug that I’m hoping will whisk through my body, searching every nook and cranny where the hairy cells hide and on finding them shine so cold and bright that they all turn to dust.

1 comment:

  1. Hola Rich!


    Me da gusto cada que leo tus post. Es interesante leerte, saber que a pesar de todo, no te das por vencido.

    Ánimo!

    Tienes un bebé en camino; sigue adelante.

    Y bueno, si no hay otro post hasta el año que entra, te dejo mis mejores deseos. Que tengas una Navidad maravillosa y aun año nuevo lleno de logros y superaciones.

    Saludos!

    :)

    Te dejo mi correo por si tienes tiempo para platicar por Messenger j_castro_garcia@hotmail.com

    GBY!

    ReplyDelete