Thursday 24 December 2009

The date has been set. After what seems like an eternity of waiting I now know when my Chemotherapy will start. Until now, whilst I knew what lay ahead, it always seemed so distant but every other landmark event that originally stood in the way has pretty much passed and only now have I started to fully comprehend the next step.

I have got well and truly into the swing of working from home and the initial shock of diagnosis is a distant memory. I’ve been eating well, taking my vitamins, avoiding sick people and although it’s been frustratingly dull at times it’s not an intolerable way to live; if needed I could certainly carry on this way.

Hairy Cell Leukaemia progresses slowly but cannot be left to go unchecked forever so having spent a few months in effective retreat it’s time to start walking the path back to the real world and it could be a rocky journey.

The Consultant dealing with my case is very positive about the outcome of my treatment; the handful of other sufferers I have found online are all doing well post-Chemo, some are in remission; and friends and family are being very supportive. I have my low moments but I know that I can make it. I know that I can beat this thing. That said I am not ashamed to admit that I’m more than a little scared about what is to come.

I have spent life in pretty good health and aside from surgery to correct a deviated septum a few years ago I have never spent any time in hospital. I have never broken anything; I have never been seriously ill. Personally I find that it is much easy to deal with difficult times in your life when you have already been through something similar whether it is overcoming physical pain, emotional trauma, or dealing with difficult situations but for this I have no basis for comparison. I haven’t had any form of rehearsal, and therein lies the fear.

It is a fear that needs to be acknowledged and dealt with though as I have no choice. There is no other way. I remember in an interview some years ago illusionist, endurance artist and general weirdo David Blaine described that he dealt with plunging himself into a tank of ice cold water as just being something he had to accept as the next step in his life no matter how painful or uncomfortable. That is, I think, the only way I can see myself getting through this from a mental standpoint: accept the inevitable; learn from the discomfort; and grow from the experience.

After all what doesn’t kill you, serves to make you stronger.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the exact same way! Its a bit overwelhming at first but you will breeze through it and be back on your feet in no time!! Take it one day at time!!

    Good Luck.
    Greg G

    ReplyDelete