Friday 1 January 2010

A new year, a new decade. 2010 was welcomed in a sedate manner: the two of us clinking glasses of water whilst watching the various firework displays being launched from neighboring gardens.

The week since Christmas has been a quiet affair, recovering from the excesses of food and drink consumed. The annual mid-winter feasting followed by the traditional detox, lots of fruit, vegetables and water this week as I try and ready myself for next week's events.

There is a heightened sense of nervousness in the house at the moment. Most days come and go quite normally but nights pass in uneasy dreams. Although not working I still set an alarm so that I can make the most of each day. I may not do much but at least I am up; about; awake.

Time is spent readying the flat for the new arrival due in March. Work that I know I will not be able to do in January and whilst I hope to be back on my feet by February that short month will be over before we know it and suddenly a crying, kicking, poo factory will be wanting somewhere to sleep. The ‘baby stuff’ is already being put to good use, a sterilizing bucket sits in the kitchen with cutlery, mugs, etc. for me to use once I have no immune system and we’re readying the antibacterial wipes to attack door knobs, light switches, keyboards and mice.

Planning for and talking about the time post-Chemo is the only way to stop ones mind from dwelling on the worst of the possible outcomes. We’re in an emotional quicksand at the moment: to keep moving forward, looking at the future is the only way through. To stop and dwell on my plight will just cause us to sink, the going will be harder and the outcome less bright. Excitingly most sentences start with the phrase “Next time we do this there’ll be a little one with us!”

Christmas gifts of books and CD's have been readied in the lounge. A pile for me to work through whilst I rest up praying that tiredness and nausea is all I have to contend with. I’m grateful for the glut of classic films on at this time of year. Battle of the Bulge being the recent highlight whilst I cupped endless mugs of tea, rain lashing against the window outside. I’ve also compiled a collection of old Western’s to see me through the days when I cannot go out. A happy reminder of ice cold Sunday afternoons at my grandmothers house when I was growing up. No heating, huddled around a tiny fire, watching cowboys on the telly whilst we ate jam tarts.

I had my final pre-chemo consultation yesterday. It was a bitterly cold yet thoroughly refreshing walk up to the hospital and then the usual routine of bloodletting and people watching in the waiting room. A good book is essential as appointment times seem to have a natural drift to them and are dependent more on the backlog of bloods in the lab than the time you report for duty. My current treatise is the thoroughly relevant “Bad Science” by Ben Goldacre and I highly recommend it to anyone, Leukaemia sufferer or not.

11:30 is the time it will start, or thereabouts once forms have been filled in and, no doubt, more blood taken. I fully intend to continue this blog as the treatment progresses but it is highly likely, I am told, that I will be admitted to hospital at some point so do not take an apparent cessation of writing to mean the worse. It is more likely that I am either very tired or failing to get comfy in a hospital bed and unable to commit my thoughts to the world wide web.

Happy New Year all; it’s going to be an interesting one.

4 comments:

  1. Feliz Año Rich!

    Que Dios colme de bendiciones y de favores a ti y a tu familia. Que tu hogar esté siempre lleno de alegrias.

    Espero que tengas éxito en todo lo que emprendas y que los fracasos que lleguen sirvan para aprender.

    Dios te Bendice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you all the way Rich, be strong both of you.
    This blog is really well written and i am sure it is helping you during this differcult time.
    Once this is over i think you should publish it as a book to help others, you are an excellent writer.
    Much love, Gil & Dave x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard. I have been following your blog on an ongoing basis and find your writing totally inspirational. I totally agree with the other comment that you should publish this when you are fit and well and come to the end of the blog. Raf and my thoughts are with you all the time and we are looking forward to spending time with you both and your new little one when the time is right. Seb and Leo send big hugs and say get better soon as they are looking forward to a ride along the river again! Take care Rich. Much love to you both Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Richard,
    Auntie Rita, future Gran, told me that you were coming out today, of hospital that is.
    Good news, take care of yourself, Salma and 'Bump'.
    keep 'positif' always use this my self, and yes in Francais.
    all love from us to you all.

    ReplyDelete