Saturday 30 January 2010

For while I just sat watching my new cell mates and the nurses and visitors coming to and fro. The guy next to me asked for a private room and was being readied for a move but by the time the night shift came on he was still with us. There were repeated requests and eventually a nurse came in to announce that he was going now. Five minutes later another nurse, one who had treated me a lot during my first incarceration, came in to tell him he had no reason to have a separate room and was not going to be getting it. She then turned to me and said "Richard. You have a temperature. You're getting your old room back."

I was quickly wheeled out and into not just any side room but the same side room I have already spent two weeks in earlier this month.

Frankly I am grateful for the peace and quiet and the unlimited visiting hours a side room brings. I also get to turn the lights out when I like.

Today though I ache. More than yesterday. This week I have only felt it when I twisted the wrong way but now its beginning to be there even when I am sitting still. It is hard though to discern how much of it is linked to whatever fever I have and how much of it is just sitting in bed all day. I feel like I need a damn good stretch but an attempt earlier today was aborted due to to many twinges and a sudden feeling that the room was icy cold.

Nothing has grown from the blood cultures that were taken yesterday. Blood is taken and then injected into two bottles that have a sloped internal bottom. On the slope is a nutritious medium for viruses, bacteria and fungus to grow on. The blood slides over this slope and the bottles are left to see if anything grows on the medium. Having no result today does not mean I am in the clear. It should take a few days to grow and there would be concern if there were enough bacteria in my blood to culture this quickly. The jury then is still out on that one.

Tomorrow will just be a day of laying around until Monday's CT scan when they hope to take a look at my now shrunken spleen and find where this pocket of infection may be hiding.

Until then I have a lot of sleeping to do.

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there!! I'm pulling for you!!

    Greg G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich

    Sorry to read that your in hospital again ... I hope your stay is a short one and you get back home very soon.

    I am having my third 2CDA tomorrow and so far I have tolerated things well and feel pretty good ... I often think that it can't be working as I am feeling so well but everyone helps keep my spirits up as I am sure your family and friends do the same for you.

    Whilst I was on Rituxan my CRP went up to 180 and they did all the blood cultures to try and identify my source of infection but they never found the problem and I managed to recover without ever knowing what the problem was so I am sure you will recover very soon.

    Good luck .

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my 2CDA just 5 days behind you, and also had the pleasure of 4 days in captivity after it blew away my neutrophils. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shit man - that really is sucky. You seem to be taking it pretty well, but I suspect that you're going slightly insane by now.

    I really thought you would be up and about by now ... what a pain in the backside.

    Still, you're in the right place and all that ...

    I have actually forgotten I have cancer in the last few days - being kicked out of chemo again has been great ... I feel fine. In fact, I'm beginning to think there's nothing wrong with me, I'm just being tested for scientific purposes.

    I'm sure they will nail your problem down soon and you'll be out again.

    Hang in there mate ... if you do get a PSP, I recommeng PuzzleQuest - it's PSP crack cocaine.

    Take care mate ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Richard
    Brilliant blog...just like a series on the telly.....We just want you to know that we are thinking of you and sending you our love and very best wishes.
    Maureen & Brian
    Barrow Ave

    ReplyDelete