Friday 8 January 2010

The last day of my Cladribine injections finally into my arms was followed by a long wait for blood test results. I am officially neutrapenic and, having experienced some shivering overnight there was concern that neutropeanic sepsis may have been lurking in the darkness.

Even with minimal white blood cells there are there indicators in a blood sample that show if the body is battling with infection. Eventually the results returned and this magic indicator had trebled since yesterday. To save the fuss of going home only to rush to A&E in the middle of the night it was decided to admit me then and there.

The Day Room that I usually only spend 20 minutes in slowly cleared, fellow patients heading home as I waited for my bed. On occasion a slightly mad woman would wander in, once to weigh herself whilst mumbling, or to get some water. Still mumbling. It turns out the mumbles were due to her being evicted from her private room and onto a noisy ward full of people groaning and making noise.

Now that I am in that private room, I can see why she was annoyed. It's clean, quiet and warm. Far better than a ward any day. There's a fridge, an loo of my own, no one is going to nick my stuff, and I'm not going to wake up with any mad folk looming over me in the middle of the night.

With copious amounts of saline and anti-biotics dripping in to me I'll be here all weekend and possibly most of next week. Hopefully this action now will stave off any real suffering later on, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment