Saturday 9 January 2010

It has been pretty much twenty four hours since I was admitted to my room. People have come and gone with drugs, cups of tea, microwaved meals, and a variety of machines for monitoring bodily functions. I have not stepped out of the door and have been told not to without at least the precaution of a face mask.

I am thankful for the large window that offers a high rise view of the snowy vista outside; I am grateful for the cookies and snacks brought in by my wife early this morning.

Despite disturbances in the night to change drips or take drugs I slept well, albeit aware of an increasing tightness in my chest. Not part of a general ward the nurses left me alone to sleep in for as long as I wanted although I missed being woken by the kicks of my unborn daughter as she wriggles around in my wife's tummy.

The morning saw an experiment in one handed washing. I tried not to snag my peripheral line as I took of my t-shirt and threaded my drip through it before embarking on an ordinarily simple venture. Face, armpits and teeth were all I managed this morning. Now I have rehearsed I shall aim for a greater level of thoroughness tomorrow.

Currently, as I type on the worst keyboard in the world attached to a screen reminisant of the rogue ship's robot in Wall-E, I feel pretty reasonable. My hips ache, the beginnings of a cough still linger in my lungs, but aside from that things are good. My consultant popped in to say hello - on a Saturday - and is happy about how I am doing and how severe the drop in white cells has been. She showed visible excitment at the prospect of feeling my spleen later in the week.

All I can do now is sit and wait, eat my snacks and hope for a decent film on TV tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rich,

    It sounds like you’re progressing well with your treatment. While my HCL treatment didn’t require me to spend time in the hospital I did have occasion to be there when I had a heart attack a few years back and can sympathize with your isolation and boredom. I never did find an easy solution to cleaning up with IV’s in my arm. At one point I considered cutting the sleeve of the gown and having my wife safety pin it back together but before this revelation occurred to me they removed the lines.

    It sounds like your baby is not far from being born, how wonderful! We are enjoying the pleasure of playing with a new grandson. His smile could melt an iceberg, his almost none stop chatter is a delight and when he buries his head into my shoulder it’s hard to put him down. What wonderful things you have to look forward to!

    Keep up the posts.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug,

    Thanks for you comment. Looking forward to our little one is what's helping me most get through this; something so positive on the horizon.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete