Tuesday 5 January 2010

Day Two is pretty much over and I still feel fine. Both of my hopes from
yesterday came to fruition with a lovely clear, albeit frosty, morning
AND FedEx delivering my blood to NIH on time. It was a slow walk up to
the hospital for no other reason that my better half is now 7 months
pregnant. The distance is not great but we had to leave home with enough
time for a slow waddle to the other side of town.

Once there the process was simple: a jab into each arm and the deed was
done. Both arms ached for ten minutes or so after the injections but it soon subsided and after a coffee we meandered back home. Encamped on the sofa in the warm I sketched out my drug timetable to keep track of the variety of pills I now need to pop each day. With my immune system set to take a serious dip in a day or two I need to medically kill off any possible infections lest I end up in A&E.

Currently in my 'bag of meds' I have:

Aciclovir - A general anti-viral drug aimed at cold sores, shingles,
chickenpox, Bell's palsy, and a lovely collection of various types of
herpes. Any of which I could certainly do without. One pill to be taken
at regular intervals four times a day, every day.

Cotrimoxazone - A general anti-biotic aimed at Listeria, Traveller's
Diarrhea, and load of things I've never heard of ending in '...osis'.
One to be taken three times a day although only on Monday's, Wednesdays,
and Fridays. Never before have I ever had a pill that only works
part-time.

Domperidone - Sounding a lot like a top end champagne it is nowhere near
as enjoyable. It is an anti-nausea pill two of which can be taken up to three
times a day that ironically tastes absolutely foul. Nauseating in fact.

I'm holding off on the Domperidone until sickness sets in rather than
take a drug I do not need; I think there's enough of a chemistry set
rattling around in me for now.

The only other thing I need to take is water and lots of it. Whilst my
liver is working overtime to break down the cocktail of drugs I'm
ingesting, my kidneys need as much help as possible to flush out the
Hairy Cells that will soon be dying off, hopefully in great numbers. To
offer some assistance I need to drink, I'm told, six pints of water per
day.

This I am managing but I think I am beginning to slosh when I walk. I
have never been quite so hydrated or had to visit the loo quite so
regularly. If frequent peeing is all I have to contend with throughout
this treatment then frankly I'll have got off quite lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment