Thursday 7 January 2010

My uncharacteristically feisty end to yesterday's blog was soon brought down as, late last night, my body temperature went over 38 degrees, a sign of possible neutropenic sepsis and a sign that a visit to A&E is on the cards.

Having dug the car out of the 4 days of snow surrounding it we made a slow tentative drive over icy roads to the hospital. A&E was reasonably empty, populated by a handful of 'blokes' bleeding from various places getting mawfy wiv each uva.

Thankfully I get elevated to the top of the list and was in triage in minutes leaving the bloody, vomit ridden waiting room behind. Blood was taken and then I was found a bed in a cubical whilst waiting to be assessed. Eventually a gung ho doctor appeared whose ability to do anything involving the addition or removal of a needle was, quite literally, painfully flawed. He soon handed over these tasks to a far more competent nurse whilst concentrating his efforts on diagnosis and bossing others around.

It was a four or five hour process while blood results were waited for, x-rays were taken, in a bid to find the location of the infection. None could be found and once the blood results came back I was seen, thankfully, not to be neutropenic. That is to say I still had some immunity in my system. As a precaution is was given a paracetmol drip and a saline drip to bring the temperature down and help hydrate me. Meanwhile I sat, cubical curtain open, watching the frankly terrifying world of late night A&E cases drift past.

Alcohol induced injuries, illnesses and, in one case, psychosis all floated past my bed. At one point a teenage girl was being sectioned whilst, in front of me, a old woman who had slipped on the ice and broke her hip struggled through a haze of senility to understand why she was in pain and why her family weren't there to explain things. Doctors it would appear had been failing to get her to consent to an XRay and she'd fought them off as they tried to get her on the table.

I can see that I am now at the point in my treatment where, as expected, things are going to go downhill. It's going to be worrying and uncomfortable but for all the diffuclties I am going to enounter I'm aware that there are people out there living far more uncomfortable lives, some for all of their lives, and of all the people being treated last night I am glad I'm me.

4 comments:

  1. Hey RC - after my first bout of chemo, I had a load of this. I was 'running the guantlet' a bit by letting it ride to 38.5 ... paracetomol helps.

    I've been told if it does go above, take 2 paracetomol and wait 30 mins. Don't go to bed on a high temp - you might wake up very ill/dead !

    Both episodes have lasted about 2-3 hours. I get really cold, shivery, can't get enough blankets ...

    My problem is that I think I know best - and I hate the thought of Watford A&E but I think after the next session, I will have to heed the advice.

    Stay in touch ... my email addy is spencer dot steel at gmail dot com

    Good luck with the sickness mate - it sucks hard, but the only way out is through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich,

    I was diganosed in 2008 and treated last year. I was treated once a day for five days, outpatient and am now in remission. This is not an uncommon outcome for an HCL patient.

    The treatment for me did not produce many of the side effects some of the others with HCL have experienced. As I lay there, in a room full of other cancer patients, with an IV stuck in my arm, wondering how this had all happened, the time passed quickly and before I knew it the week and my treatments were over. My numbers all went down and there was the wait to see them start up but that also happened. Three months later my doctor gave me the news, after CBC and BMB tests, I was in remission.

    There was a light at the end of the tunnel for me and will be for you as well.

    HANG IN THERE!!

    By the way the map you put on Rob's site is really starting to fill in.

    Good Luck I look forward to hearing you're in remission soon.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rich

    Its really good to read your blog ... I start injections next Monday but I am having them once a week for 6 weeks as my liver has struggled with my previous Chemo treatments.

    I hope we both achieve a very long remission and we can put our HCL experience behind us for a very long time.

    Cheers

    Sean ( Jamesy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All,

    I was told specifically told not to take paracetamol as it would lower the temperature but also mask the cause of the infection and make it harder to find and attack.

    The biggest issue, I feel, is the accuracy of the Braun in ear thermometer I have. The different between an "Up Against the Eardrum" measurement is about .6 degrees higher than one taken just half way into the ear where most nurses seem to stick them. Which temp them to go for? Had I had not been checked in after my chemo I think i'd have gone home and waited for at least 38.5 and a feeling of definite illness before going back to hospital. Which would probably have made this week much more difficult.

    Its nice to see the map being used. There may be some German entrants soon as a close relative has found a German HCL site.


    Rich

    ReplyDelete