Friday 29 January 2010

My release was just over a week ago and so welcome it was that I have been spending time enjoying the delights of a daily shower, the joy of multiple rooms and decent cups of tea rather than turning my attention to writing. Today though I find myself perched on the edge of a hospital bed in a ward just down the corridor from my original room. Post treatment recovery is not going as smoothly as hoped.

On leaving the hospital I was somewhat dazed to be out in the world again; in need of a shower, a shave and a haircut. Some of these tasks were achieved immediately, others over the next few days. I was tired and weak but felt a weekend of rest was all I needed to be truly back on my feet. Seemingly endless dreams of hospitals, nurses, needles filled my restless nights but as time passed I wasn't feeling any better.

As the weekend wore on the chestyness I had felt in hospital seemed to be getting worse and I ached slightly. Each morning since has brought on more aching to the point where I now move around the flat like a seventy year old man. Ooing and Ahhing whenever I get up or sit down. Breathing normally is ok but to take a lungful of air is an effort and at night I have been sweating. Sweating so profusely that most nights require four or five changes of sheets. The bed is now made in such a way that it is only my side that needs changing but it is having a real impact on the quality of sleep I am getting. Some mornings I only get up because I cannot be bothered to lay there and sweat any longer.

Relaying these symptoms to my consultant yesterday as part of my weekly follow up revealed that none of them were expected side effects of the chemotherapy. What appears to have happened is that an infection has crept in whilst my defences were down that wasn't caught by the cocktail of drugs I was being given.

So here I am, back for tests. Hoping that I am not told to stay at the end of the day. Mainly because it is Friday so I am guessing that, if kept in, the next possible release date is Monday.

This is not where I want to spend another weekend.

Bloods have been taken, a cannula is in my arm, and a CT scan has been booked for later this afternoon. Lets hope that what ever they find can be dealt on a strictly Out Patient basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment