Wednesday 20 January 2010

The cannula has just been removed from my right arm. It is a process that is by far the most painful part of my entire treatment mainly because cannula's require so much sticky tape and I have such hairy arms. The plastic tube is now replaced with a mild sting that over the next few days will turn into an itchy little mound as the hole begins to heal. For now my days of intravenous antibiotics are behind me. I can now look forward to washing with two hands and brushing my teeth with the right.

I can also look forward to going home.

Tomorrow, at some point, once doctors have signed the right forms and the pharmacy have supplied me with a big bag of pills I'll be putting on jeans and a t-shirt and heading home. My neutrophils are now at 1700.

The day started gloomy on the outside and once again gloomy on the inside as I contemplated another twenty four hours in my room. I had pretty much lost all enthusiasm for doing anything other than napping or watching the pigeons on the roof outside. It is not that I was short of things to do, to occupy my mind, I was just sick of this little room. I still am, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

It is too early to tell whether the treatment has worked, whether any hairy cells lurk in my marrow unzapped by the Cladribine injections that started what feels like a lifetime ago. I am guessing that, as my counts were at zero for a few days, the treatment got all of the ones in my blood. Only another bone marrow biopsy will tell whether it was 100% successful. That will come in a few weeks and unpleasant as it is I am not dwelling on it now. My freedom is the only thing on my mind and it is hard to decide just what I want to do first when I get out other than run from room to room in our flat just because I can. Making a decent cup of tea and cooking a proper meal will certainly be high on the agenda.

Not before I've had a proper shower though.

There's just so much I can do its overwhelming; I think its time to dig out that list I was making.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your numbers.

    Good health and long life.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Richard,

    You amaze me with your blog in the face of such difficulties. I am so glad there is light at the end of the tunnel and soon you will be out of that little room. I sure your flat (and your lovely pregnant wife) is missing you too...

    Stay strong in mind and the body will follow.

    Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts.

    Love and a big hug from,

    I-Cheng xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are reading this from home. Congratulations on having your neutrophils back.

    It is well within your rights to ask for a pain killer or sedation before the next bmb.

    Vincent James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you are now back in the comfort of your own home and feeling better.

    I also hope your BMB results in a few weeks time show that the treatment has worked for you.

    As Vincent commented previously, the BMB test is much easier under sedation if you can choose that option.

    Keep Well

    PeterUK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear that your cells are on the up. I've been a little behind reading your blog, but it's weird that you mention netrophenia on the day that I discovered what it was myself :)

    I keep being sent home from having chemo because of my low blood count. It'll be OK again next week they say.

    I'm hoping you're back home now and look forward to hearing how you adjust back to life.

    Take good care now ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!! Glad to hear the news and good luck!!!

    Greg G

    ReplyDelete