Monday 11 January 2010

So habitual had it become that I dragged my drip stand all the way to the toilet only to remember, once sat, that there was no drip and I was not attached. I hurried along hoping to get back to my bed before anyone came in and saw what I had done. This morning saw a few hours of respite as, even with tubes dangling from my arm, I gained a level of freedom of movement not encountered since yesterday's shower. Had I have known I would have delayed the 'one armed wash' I am becoming so expert at. Once you accept that there will be water everywhere by the end of the process the rest goes smoothly.

It has been a slow day and these four walls are now beginning to close in. There's a picture of two fishing boats in a Cornish harbour at low tide that I have invented an entire back story too. I'm wondering about asking for some paint so I can decorate the walls. They don't need it but it'll kill some time.

I have been very tired today. Frequent naps between feeding and drugs has been the general theme. I have also been a little nauseas. Not in a dodgy food way; more in a too much beer last night kind of way. Ah, if only that were the case. I assume that, with all white cells destroyed, and hopefully the hairy ones, my body is now filling my marrow and blood with some fresh, new and non-malignant ones. That is probably pretty hard work under the hood. I'm happy to take it easy although first thing this morning I had planned to do a little work to try and throw some normality into the day.

An impromptu nap soon saw an end to that.

The blood transfusion that started yesterday finished today and I now look a more normal colour. Bags under my eyes have gone as have tiny blood spots on my skin. I get small twinges under my lower left rib that I hope are my massive spleen shrinking but it could just be my stomach rebelling against the hospital food. It is not wholly bad but it lacks fibre and in a lot of cases flavour. Thankfully because I am neutropenic I get a hot meal at lunch rather than just a sandwich. It does however mean I am working through the menu quicker.

Tiredness is overcoming me once more and another snooze is in order. I'm hoping that the next few days will see a steady increase in energy as I continue to recover and eventual step out into the outside world.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rich,

    Hang in there. Maybe some neupogen to get the whites up. You will get your energy back soon. 3 months after my chemo, I was playing hockey. 4 months after, I went to Italy for a vacation. 6 months after, I hit a hole in one.
    Will
    Boston Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich,

    Glad you are still hanging tough. Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit nauseous. Are they giving you anything for that?

    Two fishing boats in a Cornish harbor at low tide sounds like nice imagery and appropriately low key image for a hospital wall.

    It does sound like you are getting a bit bored. Hope you get sprung soon!

    You are reminding me of all things I've relegated to the dark recesses of my mind such as the fatigue I felt after treatment. It does pass. Oh and the wikipeida article on HCL attributes the fatigue post treatment to the cancer cells dying.

    I also remember about taking a shower after getting my armed unhooked and wrapped first. For me there were a couple of days where I didn't feel up to walking down the hallway to the shower. I had my friend Catherine, a sister and a niece wash my hair in the sink in my room. It didn't take the place of a shower entirely, but it did make me feel a lot better.

    Vincent James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rich,

    Good luck with the rest of your treatment - hope everything goes smoothly for you.

    Cheers,

    Thomi Richards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rich,

    I hope you make a speedy recovery and get through the treatment as pain free as possible.

    A link I thought you might find interesting, I find it a God-send for passing time:

    www.ted.com

    Take care,

    Nav

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rich, what can I say the others have not already said.

    It takes time, sleep helps the body heal and your strength return.

    Relax and let the good stuff take the place of all those bad hairy cells.

    You're on your way to feeling a lot better so you can enjoy your soon to arrive baby.

    Think of it as good timing.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the rest mate ... give it a month and sleep will be a thing of the past :)

    ReplyDelete